Friday 7 October 2011

Thing 22

Volunteering

The only voluntary work I have ever undertaken was on the Adult Basic Education scheme in Warwickshire many years ago. This consisted of helping adults who struggled with reading. I was not working in libraries at the time but my interest in literacy and the acquisition and application of reading skills was there even then. It is still a useful example to mention in interviews along with more recent work in this area. It was a good and rewarding experience and I only ended it when I got a job which involved a long commute and some evening hours so could no longer manage it.

At the moment my main role is in FE but I am also interested in school libraries as I find the areas of my work which interest me most are the ones which would feature highly in a school setting. I also studied an optional module on school libraries as part of my PG Dip. As I work part time I am considering approaching local schools for some voluntary work on my day off - voluntary work or work shadowing. Obviously I do not want to be a hindrance and a librarian could see it as a chore and unwanted extra burden. However hopefully it could also be seen as an opportunity to engage with a fellow professional and a fresh pair of eyes.

The question of whether we should work for free and it endangering the profession - I would say that voluntary work should never be done if it is at the expense of someone's job. I see it more as undertaking a project that otherwise may never get done or for someone to gain a some experience in the short term not anything sustainable or long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment