Thursday 6 October 2011

Thing 20

Library routes and roots

I did blog about this for thing 10 so won't repeat it all here but will link my thing 10 blog post to the Library routes site. To answer the questions posed by thing 20 about whether my own path ws typical or unusual compared to others, having read some of the other posts on the Library Routes site, one realises that there is probably no such thing as a typical path into library and information work. In the same way there are many different roles within many different institutions/companies etc. Having said that I have gone around the houses a bit before finally realising my ambition of qualifying as a librarian so have not followed the straight out of college and into the profession route but this means I have lived outside the echo chamber and have other experience and skills to offer the profession.

Do I have advice for people in the early stages of their career? Well I am in the early stages of my career in one sense having qualified this year although in another sense I am mid way through (or maybe less if the government keep on raising the retirement age?!). Having realised my ambitions somewhat late perhaps, I would say follow your dream and don't give up - its never too late to get back into education, I started my library postgrad at 40. Take any opportunities to gain relevant work experience and keep a record of all the transferable skills gathered along the way you never know when they may come in handy to get you a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment