Friday 7 October 2011

Thing 21

Having been working for 20 years now, I think I finally know what I like and don't like doing. I had recently started to list my qualifications, achievements and experience in preparation for updating my CV as I have not done this since I qualified. I do find that there is a lot of information about writing CVs out there but more often than not it is aimed at those just starting out, straight from school or college rather than those of us who must sift through quite a number of years of work experience to produce something no longer than 2 sides of A4. I think I may use my CILIP membership and get some advice on this in the near future. I have to say that it is at least 10-15 years since I applied for anything that asked for a CV. All posts nowadays seem to require the completion of an application form which is a time consuming task to say the least.

The interviews I have been successful at are the ones where I have been prepared, confident and above all enthusiastic. I have been to some where I have had some doubts about aspects of the job (eg the hours) and I think this comes across as it is in the back of your mind and you therefore do not get as far as discussing any concerns. I am not sure about the solution to this - sometimes a telephone conversation prior to interview may be helpful. Incidentally, do many people do this? I would be interested in comments back. I once worked with someone in HR who said she wouldn't consider applicants who hadn't rung up for a discussion in advance. (This was not in a library environment I have to say). Have you done this? What did you discuss? Did you get the job?

In addition to the areas to prepare posted by the wikiman in his blogpost http://thewikiman.org/blog/?p=1561 I would also suggest:




  • partnership working
and for those applying to schools or FE especially,




  • equality and diversity


  • safeguarding.

2 comments:

  1. "I once worked with someone in HR who said she wouldn't consider applicants who hadn't rung up for a discussion in advance."

    I was surprised, and slightly concerned, to read this - I've never rung up for such a discussion and I don't know anyone who has. Mind, one of my tutors during my Librarianship MA last year said it was a good idea as it shows you are interested and makes you memorable. Perhaps it's something to think about for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done it myself either Laura but wonder if it is something which is expected when applying for posts at a more senior level.

    ReplyDelete